Project Access at Roxbury Community College provides our students with a variety of resources and services, FREE of charge.
Statement to our students:
Our goal is to provide our students with holistic support to address the non-academic issues that often prevent degree completion.
Access to Benefits and Financial Resources:
- Screening students to determine eligibility for public benefits
- Assistance in applying for benefits
- Follow up to ensure that students who apply, receive benefits
- Advocacy for students who were denied benefits who appear eligible
- Health Insurance – We offer assistance to students in identifying and applying for Mass Health or in a subsidized Qualified Health Plan (QHP). Open Enrollment generally begins in November and lasts through January. Those students wishing enroll after the Open Enrollment periods must have a “qualifying life event”. For more info click here. We can also assist you in submitting your Student Health Insurance Waiver. Most people will be required to obtain health insurance coverage by the end of Open Enrollment, or could be subject to a tax penalty when filing their taxes for the year in which they did not have coverage, to learn more about this requirement or learn more about exemptions click here. You can also find out how your tax penalty is calculated. To learn more and calculate what your penalty would be click here for more information.
- Food Stamp (SNAP) – We offer students screening and application assistance for the Supplemental Nutrition Program (SNAP) to help income eligible students. An eligible household will generally receive monthly benefits within 30 days of submitting an application. For more information click here.
- Women, Infants, & Children (WIC) Nutrition Program - We also offer screening to students to help determine eligibility for WIC, and provide assistance with locating your nearest WIC Office. For more info on prescreening click here. If you would like to start an application online click on the link for WIC, www.mass.gov/forms/apply-for-wic-online which will allow you to start the WIC application online.
- Legal Services – Each semester, we offer a Free Legal Clinic where students can meet with a licensed attorney by appointment to discuss common legal issues, such as housing eviction, public assistance, immigration, child custody and small business issues. At other times, students receive information and referrals for free or low cost assistance with legal issues.
- Housing Resources – The Commonwealth of Massachusetts has resources available for individuals and families struggling to make rent or mortgage payments. For more information on different programs to help with housing costs, emergency shelters, or how to apply for affordable housing click here to login into your MyRCC Account to access Campus Life/Resources.
- Tax Preparation – RCC does not provide tax services, we do however refer students to the Boston Tax Help Coalition and the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) programs, they offer income eligible filers free tax preparation assistance each year. Eligible students are encouraged to apply for the Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, Lifetime Learning Credit or the American Opportunity Credit. For more info click here.
- Financial Counseling – Our office offers counseling on credit and debt issues, budget management and savings. We also partner with local financial institutions to offer on campus workshops and provide more in depth financial planning services.
We are proud partner of CCCBI, a Boston-based organization that empowers community college students to learn the basics of credit, improve their financial skills and gain control of their finances. RCC students interested in scheduling a one-on-one financial counseling session should click here.
- Other Referrals – Connecting students with Mental Health and Substance Abuse Counseling, Domestic Violence Resources, Emergency Shelters, Furniture Assistance, Child Care, Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) $30 Youth Pass, Fresh Start Furniture- RCC Approved Referral Agency, Technology Goes Home (low cost internet service and computers, Sitters Without Borders (childcare), and more.
To schedule an appointment click HERE. Scheduling is completely confidential!
Please, contact the Project Access Office if you have any questions.
Lisa R. Carter, Director of Project Access
Building 4, Room 313
Phone: 857-701-1277 | Email: email@example.com