Project Access at Roxbury Community College provides our students with a litany of resources and services, free of charge. Our goal is to provide our students with holistic support to address the non-academic issues that often prevent degree completion. Each academic year, we assist our students with:
- Health Insurance – We offer assistance to students in identifying and applying for Mass Health or in a low or no cost Health Connector Plan. In addition each year, we offer Health Insurance Outreach Events staffed by certified health navigators, who are expert at completing the required forms to assist us during Annual Open Enrollment periods.
- Food Stamps (SNAP) – We offer students screening and application assistance for the Supplemental Nutrition Program (SNAP) to help income eligible students. An eligible household will generally receive monthly benefits within 30 days of submitting an application. We also offer screening to students to help determine eligibility for the Supplemental Nutrition Program (WIC) Nutrition, and help students complete the application paperwork. Students who need food in an emergency can come to the office and receive information on local food pantries and a schedule for the $2.00 A Bag Program which travels to different locations around the city each day.
- Legal Services – Each semester, we offer a Free Legal Clinic where students by appointment can meet with a licensed attorney to discuss common legal issues, such as housing eviction, public assistance, immigration, child custody and small business issues. At other times, students receive information and referrals for free or low-cost assistance with legal issues.
- Financial Counseling – Our office offers year-round financial advising on credit and debt issues, budget management and savings. We also partner with local financial institutions to offer on campus workshops and provide more in depth financial planning services.
- Tax Preparation – Through our partnership with the Boston Tax Help Coalition and the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, we offer income eligible filers free tax preparation assistance each year. Eligible students can apply for the Lifetime Learning Credit or the American Opportunity Credit.
- Housing Resources – Our relationship with the Metropolitan Boston Housing Partnership (MBHP) allows us to provide RCC students access to a variety of housing resources. This partnership was launched in October 2015, with an affordable housing workshop. MBHP representatives also visit RCC's campus bi-monthly, to provide students with one-on-one counseling on affordable housing issues and available programs and application assistance.
We provide students with access to these resources through both campus events and one-on-one counseling sessions. To learn more about our services and upcoming events, contact:
Lisa R. Carter
Director of Project Access at RCC
Office: Administration Building (2), Room 101
Fax: (617)933-7456 fax