The RCC Library strives to promote student learning and faculty instruction in a friendly and supportive atmosphere. Library programs include computer technologies, print and media materials, and information literacy instruction essential to lifelong learning. We invite you to visit the Library often.
The Roxbury Community College library endeavors to welcome and encourage all of our users; to be a leader in supporting all aspects of teaching and learning on campus; to meet the needs of our diverse students, faculty, and staff by utilizing traditional and digital library services; to respond to changing academic and informational needs; to provide our community with the information and technological literacy skills necessary to excel in the 21st century.
We believe that all RCC students are capable of excellence if given the skills necessary to succeed. More than ever, library staff must teach information literacy and learning skills to empower students to take a proactive role in their own education. The more the Library can respond to changes in the information society, the better we can provide programs essential to preparing students for careers and continued learning.
- To promote quality education for a diverse, non-traditional, multi-cultural population using information literacy skills development, on-line services, and the use of library collections to support classroom instruction and provide resources and instruction for those pursuing learning on their own.
- To take a leadership role in the development, use of instruction and information technology, and OER resources essential to effective teaching and learning.
- To initiate and develop partnerships with faculty, staff and colleagues in other institutions to expand learning opportunities for our students.
- To empower students to develop research skills essential to college level work and lifelong learning and to help students develop an appreciation for different cultures and lifestyles and a natural curiosity about the world in which we all live.
- To assess the effectiveness of library programs using current library assessment tools and to maintain a profile of library users to provide appropriate, high quality programs.
- To assess the collection in relationship to the curriculum, student learning needs, standards for community colleges and planned methods of instruction.
- To manage effectively a dynamic and flexible library capable of anticipating and responding to the evolving needs and responsibilities of the college.