|RCC Internships/Host Sites|
Intern experience in your chosen career is valuable for future job prospects and furthering your education. Roxbury Community College can help you find an internship that’s right for you. Internships may be paid or unpaid. It is helpful to remember that often your greatest “pay” will be in experience gained and contacts made.
Internship Benefits for Students
- Practice the knowledge you have learned in the classroom
- Earn 3 credits in your field of study (this statement applies for the Academic Credit Internship only)
- Increase confidence and improve academic performance
- Build the experience section of your resume
- Expand your professional network and gain professional references
- Be first in line for related job opening
Academic Credit Internships
Roxbury Community College provides students with the opportunity to take a three credit Internship Course. This course is designed for students in the following programs:
- Broadcast Media & Technology
- Information System Technology
- Administrative Information Technology
- Criminal Justice
- Liberal Arts
This course is offered during the fall, spring and summer semesters and may be used to fulfill a course requirement or elective (see individual Program of Study for more details).
Steps to Complete an Academic Credit Internship
Internships require a lot of preparation. Begin preparing at least 8 weeks prior to your desired start date.
- Enrollment in a degree or certificate program
- Completion of English Composition 101, and at least three courses toward degree*
- Possession of a minimum 2.0 GPA on a scale of 4.0
- Faculty Internship Advisor Recommendation Form signed by Faculty who will supervise the internship
- Attend at least two (2) career service-related workshops
- Students are required to meet with the coordinator of cooperative education prior to course registration to complete an Internship Agreement Form, Develop a Resume, Cover Letter, References and/or identify an internship site
* Consult with program description for any specific course prerequisites
Students who wish assistance in seeking an internship are encouraged to contact the Coordinator
Academic Non-credit Internships
This is an academic program, which allows students to apply classroom theories and skills in a real work experience. Students are monitored by a representative from the Office of Career Development and Internships. This option allows students to begin working in their field of study early in their program. There is no limit to the number of terms a student can participate, and no tuition is charged for this option.
Students seeking a non-credit internship are still required to attend at least two (2) career service-related workshops.
Forms and Resources
- Faculty Internship Advisor Recommendation Form
- Internship Inquiry Form
- RCC Credited Internship Agreement
- Resume Guide for Internships
- Internship Journal Entry and Time Sheets
- MCC Internship Acknowledgement of Risk and Consent