Roxbury Community College (RCC) is pleased to present its third annual Roxbury Rocks Music Festival on Saturday, July 16, 2016! The festival will be held on the campus of RCC at 1234 Columbus Avenue, in the courtyard between Building 2 and Building 3, from 12:00 – 5:00 p.m. Our headliner will take the stage at 4:00 p.m.; and, our "You Rock" award winners will be honored at 4:30 p.m.
Our festival will feature music, dance, food trucks, free ice cream, balloons and face painting. This year, for the first time, local vendors will be selling goods for purchase. On the roster are the following performers:
- The Beano Boyz Crew;
- The Boston Youth Symphony Orchestra (BYSO) String Quartet;
- The reggae stylings of kogaNinjazz;
- OrigiNation, a noted Boston dance company;
- Ron Reid, steel drummer, bassist and Berklee professor; and,
- Shea Rose, singer-songwriter, performing artist, and activist for using music for social change.
Mistress of Ceremonies is Bonnie Johnson, producer and host of the WICN 90.5 FM radio program Colors of Jazz.
This year's festival headliner is Wali Ali, one of the original Funk Brothers from Motown. RCC’s Third Annual “You Rock” Awards, will be presented to the following community leaders, who have championed RCC and the Roxbury community:
- Haywood Fennell, renaissance man and established community advocate;
- Gloria Fox, 17-term state representative of Roxbury; and,
- OrigiNation, to be represented by Shaumba Dibinga, Musau Dibinga and Muadi Dibinga.
Festival sponsors include the Bay State Banner, Ben & Jerry's, and WICN. Festival community partners include the BAMS Collective, Castle of our Skins, Discover Roxbury, Haley House, the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum and the Museum of African American History.
Free parking is available for the duration of the festival in lot 1, located on the corner of Columbus Avenue and Cedar Street. For directions and a map of the parking lot, please click here.
If you have questions or need additional information, please contact Social Media and Campus Events Coordinator Vanessa Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-933-7408.
To review photos from last year's festival, click here.