- Are you looking to work with great technology in a fast-paced and friendly environment?
- Are you looking for the opportunity to work on projects at Harvard University that would look great on your resume?
- Are you looking for a job that is within walking distance of campus?
If so, please consider joining the Web and Application Development team at the Harvard School of Public Health!
Duties and Responsibilities
Web and application development interns work as part of a versatile team of three staff members that oversee the HSPH website (http://www.hsph.harvard.edu) as well as a large portfolio of administrative, research, and academic web applications.
Interns will have an opportunity to experience work in many areas of web and application development including website maintenance and content development, web programming, web graphic design, and video production.
Interns may (based on skills and interests):
- Make content updates to web pages
- Create graphics and prepare photographs for websites and blogs
- Work as event staff monitoring live streaming productions
- Test new web applications
- Work on programming projects with web programmers
- Assist with social media efforts
- Work on special projects as part of project teams (i.e., migration of existing sites to new content management system)
- Analyze web statistics and report back on web traffic
- Work on recording and monitoring courses for on-demand viewing
- Attend weekly staff meetings and other meetings
Interns will gain experience in:
- Teamwork and communication skills
- Website programming in open source platforms (e.g., PHP, Wordpress, Drupal)
- User interface/user experience development work (e.g., graphics, photo preparation, navigation methods)
- Business and communications software (Outlook, MS Office, all major web browsers, SSH/SFTP clients)
- Social media for business use (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn)
- Video and web conferencing tools
- Classroom technology (document cameras, tablet PCs, room controls, microphones)
- Web streaming and course capture
- Web productivity tools (i.e., wikis, blogs, courseware, Wordpress CMS)
- Keen interest in technology and ability to learn new technology quickly
- Web technologies, information systems technologies, computer science or engineering background preferred
- Basic web skills including HTML, experience with a content management system (e.g. WordPress, Drupal)
- Some computer programming experience helpful.
- Graphic design or video editing experience a plus.
- This position reports directly to the HSPH Webmaster, Christopher Ternan.
- You will also have opportunities to meet with the Chief for Information Technology and Assistant Director of Information Technology for further career exploration in IT.
- The web team business hours are 9 am to 5 pm. An internship schedule during these hours will be created for candidates.
- HSPH is a business casual work environment.
- Several interns in other programs in the past have been placed at Harvard University in permanent positions after graduation.
For additional information, contact:
Career Development Center
Academic Building 3, Room 207
Roxbury Community College
1234 Columbus Avenue
Roxbury Crossing, MA 02120